There are numerous exercises for fantastic abs that require no equipment at all. This article will show you the best exercises you can do just about anywhere. No equipment needed!
If you want amazing abs, then your ab workout routine has to include the plank. Benefits of this exercise are numerous:
- Proper posture
- Stronger core
- Increased flexibility
- Toned stomach
- Reduces back pain
- It also works your glutes and hamstrings
- Your arms will look great as well.
Here’s how to do a plank:
- Get into a push-up position, but rest your weight on the forearms instead of your hands
- When the body is making a straight line, bring and hold the bellybutton into your stomach
- Hold as long as you can
Crunches are by far the most popular abdominal exercise that tones, defines, and strengthens the muscles of your core. Strong core muscles improve your posture which is essential not only for the proper execution of all exercises, but it also prevents lower back pain. To do this exercise, you should:
- Lie flat on the back with legs bent at knees
- Put your hands at the back of your head, webbing fingers together
- Sit up activating the core and making sure you bring your head towards the ceiling
V-ups belong to the list of hardcore abdominal exercises and are also referred to as Jack Knife Sit-Ups. They help shape the side of the abdomen and targets your external obliques and rectus abdominis. Since it’s considered a hardcore exercise, it should only be performed by advanced exercisers with healthy spines. Here’s how to do V-ups:
- Lie on the ground with arms above your head and legs stretched out
- Lift up arms and legs simultaneously towards the ceiling until your fingers almost touch the toes
- Wait for a few moments and return to the starting position
Spiderman plank is a bodyweight exercise that primarily works your core and upper body. It’s also a great cardio move since it gets your heart pumping and blood flowing.
- Start in a low plank position with the body in a straight line and elbows bent under shoulders. Make sure your feet are hip-width apart
- Bring the right knee to the right elbow
- Extend right leg back and return to the starting position
- Repeat the same process on the left side
Side plank is an exercise that you should do after mastering the “regular” plank and want to do a more challenging move. Benefits of this exercise are numerous including core strength, toned abs, stronger arms and wrists, improved concentration, and better balance. Here’s how to do the side plank:
- Lie on one side with your elbow tucked under the shoulder and legs on top of one another
- On the side facing the ceiling, place hand on your hip
- Brace your abs and lift hips off the floor until you’re balancing on forearm and feet. Basically, your body should be forming a straight, diagonal line
- Hold the plank for at least 30 seconds, release, and switch sides
This is a practical abdominal exercise that suits both beginners and experienced exercisers. Scissor Lifts target hip flexors and the transverse abdominis, the deepest muscle in your stomach. This exercise works your obliques and rectus abdominis as well. Scissor lifts don’t only strengthen your abs, they also help alleviate lower back pain. Here’s how to do the exercise:
- Lie flat on your back
- Bend knees and draw them into your ribs
- Lift both legs straight up toward the ceiling, continuing to engage abs and press lower back into the ground
- Scissor your legs by lifting one leg up while lowering the other one
Make sure the movements are slow and steady and bear in mind your core should be engaged at all times.
The benefit of doing ab exercises without equipment is that you can do them anywhere, anytime. All these will engage your core, give you toned and stronger abs while targeting other muscle groups, improving your posture, and even make you feel good about yourself.
Please Note: Before following exercise routines or changing your fitness regime, please consult a certified fitness professional. Always talk with a medical practitioner before following dietary advice or taking supplements.